Archives for December 2012
Okay, I may not be Oprah, but I do have my own list of favorite things! If you need a gift idea for the special woman in your life, here are a few fun products I’ve come across this year that I can’t live without:
1. For the high-energy gal: a gift of the perfect cappuccino. Seriously! I spent two weeks in Italy this summer, and this little machine will make you the perfect cappuccino, latte, or strong coffee in mere seconds. It’s the real deal! I’ve had my Nespresso Pixie for a year and a half, and it still works perfectly. And with several models and colors, you’ll find one as unique as she is!
2. For the reader: The Kindle Paperwhite. I stepped on my Kindle this summer, and it was a sad, sad day. For those of us for whom reading is like breathing, the Kindle is a great way to have a book on hand all the time. I recently received the brand new Kindle Paperwhite as an early Christmas gift, and I AM IN HEAVEN! This thing is so cool, and now I can read in bed with the light off… which means I get less huffing and puffing from my husband as he tries to sleep while I finish just ‘one more chapter!’ This is the gift that lasts for years… as long as she doesn’t leave it on the floor to step on in the morning. I’ve learned MY lesson!
3. The affordable gift EVERY girl can use: They’re Real mascara by benefit! Seriously… I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect mascara for most of my adult life, and I’m happy to share with you the best of the best! This mascara doesn’t clump, doesn’t flake, and looks as good at 10PM as it did when you put it on in the morning. LOVE.
4. For the social gal: give an experience! A cooking class, a skydiving lesson, tickets to an event at the Civic Center or Wells Fargo, or something new! The Social Canvas is a place where she can go (with a few friends, or as a date night… or alone, if she’s a mom who needs some ‘me’ time) and learn to paint! The options are fun, and there are a ton of class times. Check it out!
5. For the world traveler: a CupCase! Okay, so this is a more delicate subject, but this is the coolest little deal – if she travels for work, or for any reason, this is a must-have. It’s a case that will allow her to pack molded bras without crushing them. Every girl knows this is an issue every time we fill a suitcase! The CupCase is a fun girl gift, and is quite affordable. Plus, you can use the extra space inside for jewelry, socks, etc. and still maximize the space in your case. Check it out!
6. For the fashionista: The perfect pair of jeans! The folks at MakeYourOwnJeans.com will take your measurements and detail preferences, and send you the perfect pair of jeans that fit like a dream! A gift certificate for the perfect pair is a perfect gift for the gal who is taller than most or struggles to find the right fit. This will make her day!
7. Who can’t use nice home decor? To avoid style blunders, opt for a natural approach – it’ll fit any home, and any color scheme. Check out these beauties The Magnolia Company has to offer. This is a great option for shipping out-of-state as well. She’ll love you for your thoughtfulness!
Have your own suggestions on thoughtful, unique gifts? Please share! The more, the merrier!
Aaah, soup. The quintessential comfort food. I am a soup-lovin’ gal, so you can imagine my delight when I was recently invited by some good friends to participate in a Soup Swap.
What is a Soup Swap, you ask? Why, it’s a chance for you to get together with other soup-lovin’ ladies, eat lots of soup and trade ready-made meals to stock up your freezer! Who doesn’t need some help in the cooking department this time of the year?
We had twelve women come to the swap. We each made twelve quarts of soup, which we then froze in quart-sized plastic bags and brought to the party in a cooler. We let the hosts know what kind of soup we were planning to bring so that there wouldn’t be any duplicates. Everyone also brought copies of the recipe to share. We then chose twelve different soups to take home to our families. Kinda like the Twelve Days of Christmas except with soup. The Twelve Soups of Christmas! I’m so clever.
We also sampled three of the soups for lunch that day (along with a really tasty cheese ball with crackers…Come to think of it, is there such a thing as a non-tasty cheese ball? I think not!) We had a great time catching up with one another and eating delicious food together.
Host a Soup Swap with your friends this Christmas season and you, too, could have a bowl of spicy-tomato-basil-soup in a pear tree. Merry Christmas!